Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Conference Series Events with over 1000+ Conferences, 1000+ Symposiums
and 1000+ Workshops on Medical, Pharma, Engineering, Science, Technology and Business.

Explore and learn more about Conference Series : World's leading Event Organizer

Back

Margareta Nordin

Margareta Nordin

Director
New York University Medical Center
USA

Biography

In 1978, I started the Industrial Occupational Clinic at the Occupational Industrial Orthopaedic Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Gothenburg, Sweden in collaboration with Alf Nachemson, M.D., Ph.D. and Gunnar Andersson, M.D., Ph.D. This was the first clinic, research facility, and educational center geared toward prevention of musculoskeletal injuries for industry. Universities in several countries have subsequently adapted the model. In 1983 I started the Occupational and Industrial Orthopaedic Center and Clinic (OIOC) at the Hospital for Joint Diseases, in New York, for the evaluation of occupational and industrial injuries. The Center and Clinic were modeled after the Gothenburg experience, but were adapted to the needs of the New York area. For both the Gothenburg and New York Clinics I had the primary responsibility for setting up the physical facilities, planning research activities and patient care programs, researching and acquiring equipment, planning and implementing the budget, selecting and supervising staff and marketing the services of the Clinic and Center to industry, community and major healthcare providers. During my career I have had the opportunity to serve the following major companies: The Scandinavian Airline System, Volvo, The Boeing Company, Ciba-Geigy, Pan American, United Airlines, TWA, SAAB, HBO, Consolidated Edison, New York City Transit Authority, New York 1 News, United Parcel Service, Amtrak, SONY Music Entertainment, Deutsche Bank, Allergan, JP Morgan, SUVA, US Veteran Administration, US Navy and others. I have also served the following organizations with consultation or research projects: World Health Organization, United Nations Development Fund, Brazil Airforce, Transport Workers Union, Labor International Union of North America, America’s Utility Workers and others. My environment is the interest of work and health and a productive life for all. As part of a team effort at the Occupational and Industrial Orthopaedic Center in New York, I was the project leader of the medical standards project for the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) in New York City. This project included an epidemiological study, a job profile analysis and the production of a physician's manual for medical standards. The scope of the project involved 800 employees at the NYCTA and 12 full-time researchers from OIOC at work for the period of one year. In 1990, Dr. William B. Rom and I were awarded a grant of US$ 2.5 million by the National Institute for Safety and Health (NIOSH). The purpose was to set up a Model clinic for musculoskeletal and pulmonary occupational disorders. The funding, which began in 1990, was for five years. I was and am responsible for the management of the Model Clinic, as well as, for the design, implementation and scientific soundness of the research. I was the co-principal investigator of this grant and the principal investigator for occupational musculoskeletal disorders. In 1996, the OIOC team was awarded a grant from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders (NIAMS) for US$661,329. The funding was for exploring predictors of disability in individuals with acute low back pain. As the model clinic had grown we could now implement a model for prevention of disability. In 1997-2003 the OIOC -team was again awarded with a grant from the Arthritis Foundation (New York Chapter) (US$300,000) and from the Social Security Administration (US$307,000) in a collaborative effort with the American Institutes of Research. Continuos funding have always been a priority, however I have purposely diversified the funding sources to better serve the industry community. Our funding from grant agencies and industry are today equally important. In 2005-2010 the OIOC-team/ERBI faculty was awarded the National Institute for Occupational and Safety Health (NIOSH) NY NJ Educational and Research Center (ERC) Designation in collaboration with 5 other Universities in the greater Metropolitan Area (Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Hunter College School of Health Sciences, New York University, New Jersey Institute of Technology and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey). Since 1984, I assumed the responsibility as the Director of the Program of Ergonomics and Occupational Biomechanics, New York University, New York, New York. Responsibilities include curriculum development, selecting and supervising faculty, interviewing and screening program applicants, teaching courses, and developing and implementing the program budget. The Program has a student body of about 10 Ph.D. students and about 10 Master of Science students every year. I have a true interest and dedication to education. I have created a multidisciplinary research faculty and multi- disciplinary clinical faculty to meet the increasing demands to prevent disability at work. The occupational environment and non-occupational environment need a multidisciplinary team to better understand ill health and to promote well-being. I retired from my post as Director of the Occupational and Industrial Orthopedic Center, NYU Langone Medical Center in Mars 2012 but maintain my Professor ship at the Departments of Orthopedic Surgery and Environmental Medicine, School of Medicine, New York University, to be able to spend more time on special projects and World Spine Care as a Vice President.

Research Interest

Margareta Nordin completed her PT and Dr. Med. Sci. at the University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden. Her main interest since has been prevention of disability for spine pain and translating evidence into practice in different cultural communities. Dr. Nordin is the founder of the Occupational and Industrial Orthopedic Center, New York University, New York, NY, USA. She has published more 200 peer reviewed articles and published 5 books. Dr. Nordin has participated in 5 evidence based international task forces and is currently the Vice president of World Spine Care, the Vice Preisdent of Eurospine and a council Member of the WHO Bone and Joint Decade.